Thursday, May 21, 2009

Shorebirds of the Northern Hemisphere

One of the goals of any nature photographer is to have an image published. I have had several of my images published on web sites, presentations, magazines, and books. My winning image titled “The Chase” was recently published in the Spring 2009 edition of Audubon of Florida’s magazine Florida Naturalist (PDF).

Shorebirds of the Northern HemisphereHowever, I’ve always thought of my style of wildlife photography to lean towards publication in some sort of guide book. Much of my youth was spent pouring through field guide after field guide on birds and reptiles and it has undoubtedly had an influence on my work as a nature photographer. So I am pleased that one of my juvenile Black-necked Stilt images from last summer was selected and recently published in the guide Shorebirds of the Northern Hemisphere by Richard Chandler. The book itself is a terrific guide to shorebirds, showing images of both young and adult birds as well as many behavioral images including flight for many species.

Finally I’ve just published an article “Tips on learning how to photograph Birds in Flight” over at the Everglades Photographic Society web site. I’m planning for it to be part one in a series of three updated articles on photographing birds in flight.